There are two websites I would like to highlight.
The first is called The Sixth Extinction, a website about the current biodiversity crisis, which is an educational site highlighting the plight of many species and aiming to bring this to the attention of the public. With more people aware of the problem then maybe more people will help (in ways explained in: Stop Extinction! How Can You Help?). The site also contains lists of globally extinct animals (and the list of birds: Globally Extinct: Birds).
It is so scary and very sad how quickly animals are disappearing – many without anyone even knowning anything about them – they are gone before discovery! Awareness of the problem is the first step, with Action a quick second.
The second website is called Columbidae Conservation, a UK based charity working towards the conservation of pigeons and doves, as well as their habitat, around the world.
The site contains news about conservation efforts, as well as publications on scientific studies (e.g. ecological, behavioural) about different pigeon species.
And the distribution of extinct and vulnerable species:
More about the above maps at: http://www.columbidae.org.uk/Columbidae%20Conservation%20index.html
I found various sites that have lists of extinct pigeons, however, none seemed to have the same amount of species, so please don’t treat the following list as gospel – it’s just what I’ve put together from the various sites:
Extinct pigeon and dove species
- Bonin Wood Pigeon Columba versicolor
- Dodo Raphus cucullatus
- Huahine Cuckoo-dove Macropygia arevarevauupa
- Liverpool Pigeon Caloenas maculata
- Mauritius Blue Pigeon Alectroenas nitidissima
- Norfolk Island Ground-dove Gallicolumba norfolciensis
- Passenger Pigeon Ectopistes migratorius
- Red-moustached Fruit-dove Ptilinopus mercierii
- Réunion Pigeon Columba duboisi
- Rodrigues Pigeon Alectroenas rodericana
- Rodrigues Solitaire Pezophaps solitaria
- Ryukyu Pigeon Columba jouyi
- Solomon Island Crowned Pigeon Microgoura meeki
- St. Helena Dove Dysmoropelia dekarchiskos
- Tanna Ground-dove Gallicolumba ferruginea
- Thick-billed Ground Dove Gallicolumba salamonis
- Lord Howe White-throated Pigeon Columba vitiensis godmanae
- Madeiran Wood Pigeon Columba palumbus maderensis
- Norfolk Island Pigeon Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae spadicea